Our part-time Career Navigator is meeting parents where they are to provide support, help identify skills and abilities, provide job coaching and make referrals to wraparound supports as needed. Our monthly Community Cafes are another opportunity for single parents, businesses and other community representatives to meet each other and share opportunities related to vocational training, education and job offerings.
Middletown Works is co-creating a Pilot Project with Middlesex Health in which we are identifying career track opportunities for single parents, while simultaneously identifying wraparound supports to help parents be successful in a career.
The City of Middletown created a seat for Middletown Works on the Citizen's Advisory Council to ensure that the voice of single parents in poverty are reflected in the City's plans. We also have representatives from Middletown Works that sit on the CT 2 Gen Committee.
1. Collaborative Leadership - sharing responsibility for results among a core team of partners and community residents.
2. Collective Impact - working together across multiple sectors to solve complex problems.
3. Community Engagement - intentionally engaging and including community residents in decision-making and cultivating resident leadership.
4. Learning Orientation - reflecting on what is working and what is not, using data to inform our work, pivoting where necessary and sharing learning with partners and community residents.
5. Racial Equity - being aware of and addressing disparities in local organizations, talking about if and how systems are being transformed as a result of this knowledge and working towards creating a more equitable community.
6. Systems Change - understanding a system’s many stakeholders, how they interact, and what influences them. Systems thinking means understanding the web of interrelations that create complex problems and rethinking assumptions about how change happens.
Think about all the assets that Middletown has to offer. Often times we only see what's wrong and what the needs are. That's why it's so important to focus on our gifts, strengths, talents and assets!